Jiaogulan (Gynostemma Pentaphyllum) is an herb belonging to the gourd, melon, and cucumber family sometimes called “Southern Ginseng" (1)(2).
Jiaogulan (Gynostemma) Benefits
- Supports a healthy body weight (ref)*
Jiaogulan (Gynostemma) Mode of Action
Jiaogulan is sometimes referred to as “five-leaf ginseng” or “southern ginseng”, but is not related to the ginseng family. Jiaogulan is a climbing vine belonging to the family of Curcurbitaceae (which includes gourds, melons, and cucumbers). It grows in China, Southeast Asia, Japan, Korea, India, Bangladesh and New Guinea (1)(2).
Jiaogulan is present in the traditional Chinese philosophy and further research is underway to discover all of its modes of action.
Current research suggests that Jiaogulan supports healthy body weight by activating fat oxidation through the AMPK enzyme (3).
The leaves of Jiaogulan contain gypenosides, which are triterpene saponins. The extract of the roots via alcohol are generally used for concentrated saponin and triterpenoid content, while hot water extracts from the leaves in a tea are generally utilized for its flavonoids (2)(3).
Jiaogulan (Gynostemma) Capsules Dosage
Pure Nootropics’ Jiaogulan (Gynostemma) Capsules provide 450 mg per 1 capsule. Suggested use for adults is 1 capsule by mouth once daily.
For more information, please see our references tab.
The references below are not meant to imply that any of our products treat, cure, or diagnose any disease or human condition. References to clinical studies and pre-clinical studies may use varying dosages and may not represent the dosages or subsequent results of products we sell; however, the references provided are pertinent to the subject supplement itself. References provided are intended for research and informational purposes only and do not represent the entire body of knowledge available on the subject(s) referenced; nor do they represent all possible outcomes associated with the subject(s) referenced including, but not limited to, adverse effects, precautions, or chemical interactions within the human body. The Content provided on this website is not intended to be a replacement for professional medical advice, treatment or diagnosis. Never ignore the advice of a medical professional or delay in attaining professional advice because of information or impressions you gather on this website. Choosing to rely on any information provided by the Content of this website is solely at your own risk. We encourage our audience to do their own research beyond the resources we have provided so your decision is as educated as possible.
• Supports a healthy body weight* Park, SH, et al. “Antiobesity Effect of Gynostemma Pentaphyllum Extract (Actiponin): a Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial.” Obesity (Silver Spring), vol. 22, no. 1, Jan. 2014, doi:10.1002/oby.20539.
1. “Gynostemma Pentaphyllum.” Wikipedia, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynostemma_pentaphyllum.
2. “Gynostemma pentaphyllum.” Examine.com, published Sep 30, 2013. Last updated Jun 14, 2018. https://examine.com/supplements/gynostemma-pentaphyllum/.
3. “Jiaogulan”. Foods, Herbs & Supplements. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/databases/food,-herbs-supplements/professional.aspx?productid=265#scientificName.