Bacopa Monnieri is a popular adaptogen used in Ayurvedic traditional medicine, known as “Brahmi”, which has now been expertly formulated into an exact fingerprint of its bioactive constituents (called Serotonin-Active Bacopa Glycosides, or SABG).
Pure Nootropics has chosen this high-quality, standardized extract form of Bacopa Monnieri called Bacognize® (2, 1).
Bacognize® Bacopa Monnieri Benefits
- Promotes improved cognitive processing (ref)*
- Mood and stress support (ref)*
- Promotes improved memory (ref)*
- Supports focus and attention (ref)*
Bacognize® Bacopa Monnieri Mode of Action
Bacognize® has been clinically tested in humans and has strong scientific evidence to support its benefits (1).
The unique formulation of Bacognize® enables the Bacopa extract to be active at the serotonin receptors in the brain (1) and may increase serotonin levels (2).
Bacopa Monnieri’s active chemical compounds are bacosides and bacogenins. Bacosides A and B enhance the transmission of impulses between neural synapses. Bacosides can also protect and repair neurons (2).
Most of Bacopa extract’s effects in the body are cognitive. The neurotransmitter acetylcholine is found in large amounts in the hippocampus, the part of the brain responsible for learning and memory. Maintaining acetylcholine in the brain is an integral part of cognitive health. Bacopa Monnieri extract suppresses an enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine, called acetylcholinesterase (or AChE), in the cerebral cortex. Since the enzyme responsible for breaking down acetylcholine is reduced, the amount of available acetylcholine remains higher and cognitive health is improved (3).
Together, these mechanisms provide the brain with improved conditions that improve memory, attention, focus, mood and cognitive processing from supplementation with Bacognize® (1).
Bacognize® Bacopa Monnieri Capsules
Pure Nootropics’ Bacopa Monnieri Capsules provide 300 mg of (standardized to 12% SABG) Bacognize® extract. Suggested use for adults is 1 capsule by mouth daily, or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
Bacognize® Bacopa Monnieri Side Effects and Toxicity
Bacopa is well tolerated but may cause mild gastrointestinal side effects, such as nausea, abdominal cramps, and increased stool frequency (5, 4). Other side effects may include dry mouth, fatigue, drowsiness, and rarely, heart palpitations (5).
Bacopa extract has been studied in humans and is considered possibly safe when used orally and appropriately. The LD50 in rats of an alcohol extract of Bacopa was 17g/kg, which is a dose many, many times higher than humans consume (4).
There is not a large body of research with Bacopa and any interactions it might have with pharmaceutical medications, herbs or supplements. If you are taking any medications, please consult with your healthcare practitioner before beginning supplementation with Bacopa. Do not use if pregnant or nursing (5).
For further information, please see our References Tab above.
The references below are not meant to imply that any of our products treat, cure, or diagnose any disease or human condition. References to clinical studies and pre-clinical studies may use varying dosages and may not represent the dosages or subsequent results of products we sell; however, the references provided are pertinent to the subject supplement itself. References provided are intended for research and informational purposes only and do not represent the entire body of knowledge available on the subject(s) referenced; nor do they represent all possible outcomes associated with the subject(s) referenced including, but not limited to, adverse effects, precautions, or chemical interactions within the human body. The Content provided on this website is not intended to be a replacement for professional medical advice, treatment or diagnosis. Never ignore the advice of a medical professional or delay in attaining professional advice because of information or impressions you gather on this website. Choosing to rely on any information provided by the Content of this website is solely at your own risk. We encourage our audience to do their own research beyond the resources we have provided so your decision is as educated as possible.
• Promotes improved cognitive processing*
Tatimah Peth-Nui, Jintanaporn Wattanathorn, Supaporn Muchimapura, et al., “Effects of 12-Week Bacopa monnieri Consumption on Attention, Cognitive Processing, Working Memory, and Functions of Both Cholinergic and Monoaminergic Systems in Healthy Elderly Volunteers,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 606424, 10 pages, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/606424.
• Mood and Stress Support*
Benson S, Downey LA, Stough C, Wetherell M, Zangara A, Scholey A. An acute, double-blind, placebo-controlled cross-over study of 320 mg and 640 mg doses of Bacopa monnieri (CDRI 08) on multitasking stress reactivity and mood. Phytother Res. 2014 Apr;28(4):551-9. doi: 10.1002/ptr.5029. Epub 2013 Jun 21. PMID: 23788517.
• Promotes improved memory*
Navneet Kumar, L. G. Abichandani, Vijay Thawani, K. J. Gharpure, M. U. R. Naidu, and G. Venkat Ramana, “Efficacy of Standardized Extract of Bacopa monnieri (Bacognize®) on Cognitive Functions of Medical Students: A Six-Week, Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2016, Article ID 4103423, 8 pages, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/4103423.
• Supports focus and attention*
Hingorani, L, et al. “Sustained Cognitive Effects and Safety of HPLC-Standardized Bacopa Monnieri Extract: A Randomized, Placebo Controlled Clinical Trial.” Planta Med, vol. 78, 2012, doi:10.1055/s-0032-1320681.
1. “Bacognize Standardized for Serotonin-Active Bacopa Glycosides (SABG).” Verdue Sciences, vs-corp.com/bacognize/.
2. Navneet Kumar, L. G. Abichandani, Vijay Thawani, K. J. Gharpure, M. U. R. Naidu, and G. Venkat Ramana, “Efficacy of Standardized Extract of Bacopa monnieri (Bacognize®) on Cognitive Functions of Medical Students: A Six-Week, Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2016, Article ID 4103423, 8 pages, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/4103423.
3. Tatimah Peth-Nui, Jintanaporn Wattanathorn, Supaporn Muchimapura, et al., “Effects of 12-Week Bacopa monnieri Consumption on Attention, Cognitive Processing, Working Memory, and Functions of Both Cholinergic and Monoaminergic Systems in Healthy Elderly Volunteers,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 606424, 10 pages, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/606424.
4. Calabrese, Carlo et al. “Effects of a standardized Bacopa monnieri extract on cognitive performance…: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial” Journal of alternative and complementary medicine (New York, N.Y.) vol. 14,6 (2008): 707-13.
5. “BaCognize by Verdue Sciences Inc.” Food, Herbs & Supplements, Professional. Natural Medicines, Therapeutic Research, https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/databases/commercial-products/commercial-product.aspx?cpid=97862.