Pure Nootropics’ Optimal Sleep Complex Plus is formulated with ingredients to help support healthy sleep patterns by promoting sleep quality and duration and may reduce the amount of time it takes to fall asleep. Optimal Sleep Complex Plus encourages restful sleep and supports a refreshed mood when awakening.
Optimal Sleep Complex Plus Benefits
- Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate promotes longer sleep times and falling asleep faster (ref)*
- Zinc Bisglycinate Chelate promotes and regulates sleep quality (ref) *
- Lemon Balm and Valerian Root Combination may promote better sleep quality (ref)*
- L-Tryptophan may decrease the time it takes to fall asleep (ref)*
- L-Theanine promotes sleep quality (ref)*
- Melatonin may decrease time it takes to fall asleep (ref)*
- Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate, Melatonin and Zinc Combination may improve sleep quality, sleep times, and support a refreshed mood when awakening (ref)(ref)*
Optimal Sleep Complex Plus Mode of Action
Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate is a mineral which has sedative properties. The bisglycinate form of the mineral has the highest bioavailable absorption (1). Its structure of a chelated amino acid means that there are 2 glycine molecules (bisglycinate) attached to the magnesium molecule. The bisglycinate form is stable and avoids a breakdown in the gastrointestinal tract before it is completely absorbed. It is also tolerated better and has less gastrointestinal side effects. The bisglycinate chelate aids in mineral absorption because it is a small sized molecule and can be absorbed directly by intestinal cells. Pure Nootropics chooses to use TRAACS® by Albion Minerals which is a certification that the mineral content is guaranteed to be an authentic chelated mineral amino acid for superior bioavailability (2).
Magnesium helps promote longer sleep times and falling asleep faster through its ability to promote relaxation and calm the nervous system (2).
Zinc Bisglycinate Chelate is a trace element which has a higher bioavailability than zinc gluconate and other forms of zinc supplements. Its structure of a chelated amino acid means that there are 2 glycine molecules (bisglycinate) attached to the zinc molecule. The bisglycinate form is stable and avoids a breakdown in the gastrointestinal tract before it is completely absorbed. It is also tolerated better and has less gastrointestinal side effects. The bisglycinate chelate aids in mineral absorption because it is a small sized molecule and can be absorbed directly by intestinal cells. Pure Nootropics chooses to use TRAACS® by Albion Minerals which is a certification that the mineral content is guaranteed to be an authentic chelated mineral amino acid for superior bioavailability (2).
Zinc promotes and regulates sleep quality, but the entirety of the mechanisms behind its actions with regards to sleep is still being researched (3).
Lemon Balm and Valerian Root Combination is a combination of the herbal extracts of Lemon Balm and Valerian root.
They are often used together because they exhibit synergy that may improve sleep quality. Lemon Balm acts as a GABA transaminase inhibitor; GABA is broken down into Glutamate by GABA transaminase, so the inhibition of this enzyme frees up more GABA in the brain. Valerian stimulates GABA by stimulating glutamate decarboxylase; glutamate is converted into GABA with this enzyme. The combination of Lemon Balm and Valerian is then able to stimulate the production of GABA within the brain by stimulating conversion of GABA and preventing the breakdown of GABA (4). Activation of GABA within the brain promotes sleep (5).
L-Tryptophan is an essential amino acid which is converted in the body into serotonin, which helps support healthy sleep patterns (6). This mechanism may decrease the time it takes to fall asleep (7).
L-Theanine is an amino acid which naturally occurs in tea leaves and some forms of mushrooms
L-Theanine promotes sleep quality due to its ability to provide relaxation by increasing alpha-brain waves and regulating excitatory neurotransmitters that may inhibit restful sleep. Alpha-brain waves (8-13 Hz) are the brain waves associated with relaxation and alertness and are produced within 30-40 minutes after ingestion. The alpha-brain waves (or “a-waves”) occur in the occipital and parietal regions of the brain and prepare the body for a relaxed state prior to sleep (9,10).
Melatonin is a hormone made in the human body within the pineal gland, retina, bone marrow cells, and gastrointestinal tract.
Melatonin regulates circadian rhythms and may decrease sleep latency (or the time it takes to fall asleep). Some research indicates that it reduces body temperature and that is mainly responsible for its ability to induce sleep. Melatonin decreases with age, especially between 41 and 60 years of age (11).
Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate, Melatonin and Zinc Combination combine the benefits of all 3 of these supplements and has been studied in this combination in humans. This beneficial combination demonstrates the ability to promote healthy sleep patterns in adults (18, 19).
Optimal Sleep Complex Plus Dosage
Pure Nootropics’ Optimal Sleep Complex Plus was formulated based on researched and recommended dosages.
Pure Nootropics’ Optimal Sleep Complex provides 30 mg Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate, 25 mg Zinc Bisglycinate Chelate, 400 mg L-Tryptophan, 400 mg Valerian root extract (standardized to 0.8% valerenic acid), 100 mg Lemon Balm extract, 100 mg L-Theanine, and 3 mg Melatonin per (2) capsules. Suggested use for adults is 1 capsule by mouth for light rest, or 2 capsules by mouth for deeper sleep, or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
Optimal Sleep Complex Plus Side Effects and Toxicity
As with any supplement or over the counter sleep aid, adequate research should be done regarding the ingredients and their use in combination. Always consider consulting with a healthcare practitioner if you have questions or concerns regarding supplement usage or dose. Pure Nootropics’ Optimal Sleep Complex was formulated based on researched and recommended dosages.
The most common side effects from taking this product may include daytime sleepiness, headaches, and dizziness. However, as it is a product combining many effective supplements, we encourage you to check the side effects and possible interactions with any other medications or herbs or supplements that you may already be taking, as the list of side effects provided on this website is by no means complete and other side effects may occur based on individual reactions and interactions.
Consumers taking selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), and other antidepressants should consult with a health care practitioner before taking this product as the ingredients may cause serious negative side effects.
- The acute toxicity of melatonin as seen in both animal and human studies is extremely low, and the lethal dose in mice is greater than 800 mg/kg (12).
- The risks of a typically healthy person ever suffering from a magnesium overdose are very, very rare. A magnesium overdose also known as hypermagnesemia is very rare because the kidneys work to rid the body of excess magnesium, therefore overdose is most often seen in people with kidney failure. The RDA for elemental magnesium for adult men (aged 19-30) is 400 mg and women (aged 19-30) is 310 mg; men (aged 31 and older) is 420 mg and women (aged 31 and older) is 320 mg (13).
- Excessive absorption of zinc can suppress copper and iron absorption, along with other interactions with calcium, chromium, magnesium, manganese, riboflavin, vitamin A and D. Upper intake levels for adults is 40 mg/day (14).
- Valerian root and lemon balm are both Generally Regarded As Safe (GRAS) by U.S. FDA (14, 15).
- L-Theanine is General Recognized As Safe (GRAS) by U.S. FDA (17). L-Theanine is very well tolerated and side effects may include headaches and increased sleepiness. Animal research indicates that the No Observed Adverse Effect Level of L-theanine is greater than 4000 mg/kg in rats (8).
- L-tryptophan has an RDA for adults is 5 mg/kg body weight/day (16).
For further information, please see our References Tab above.