Fasoracetam is a nootropic compound in the racetams group.
- Fasoracetam (N-(5-Oxo-D-prolyl)piperidine) (ref)* and its mechanism of action is not fully understood at this time.
The pre-clinical animal studies, which may not be representative of the effects in humans, indicate that Fasoracetam modulates and activates the metabotropic glutamate receptors (mGluR) (2)*. Pre-clinical animal studies demonstrate Fasoracetam’s ability to increase acetylcholine release, uptake, and GABAb (3).*
- Since its development in the 1990s in Japan, Fasoracetam studies and human clinical trials have been underway and have demonstrated its safety profile is well tolerated (2)*.
- Assured Purity: Rigorously tested for quality & purity by third-party Certificate of Analysis*
Fasoracetam Chemical Properties
- Molecular formula: C10H16N2O2
- Molar mass: 25 g/mol
- CAS number: 110958-19-5 (1)
- Also known as: NS-105 (1)
- Bioavailability in humans*: Peak plasma level in young adults approximately 1.3 hours, and approximately 2.1 hours in elderly (4)
- Bioavailability in the animal model: Peak plasma level within 1 hour (4)(5)
- Systemic bioavailability in the animal model: 90% in dogs, 79% in monkeys, and 97% in rats (5)
- Elimination in the animal model: approximately 90% excreted in urine for rats and monkeys, 60% excreted in dogs (5)
- Half-Life Data in the animal model: 3 hours for monkeys, 2.1 hours for dogs, 0.67 hours for rats (5)
Pure Nootropics’ offers Fasoracetam in 20 mg capsules.
In clinical trials, Fasoracetam was well tolerated (6)(2), but care is needed when administering to elderly individuals because of the potential for elderly renal (kidney) impairment which may inhibit timely elimination of the compound. This may cause elevated plasma concentration levels of the compound because the kidneys are not able to quickly filter the compound due to age-associated kidney changes. Please consult your healthcare practitioner before taking Fasoracetam, especially if there are any kidney impairments (4).
For further information, please see our References Tab above.